Are you wondering if social media (blogging, Tweeting, QR codes, inbound marketing, and all that stuff) has anything to do with your career? Do projects with elite writing play a big role in your life? It's time to take everything more seriously.
For every career (unless you’re going to be a shepherd, a monk, or a wilderness fire warden), knowing how to use social media for yourself and for your employer is absolutely critical.
Social media is dramatically and permanently changing the way we create, distribute, and consume information as well as the way we brand and market ourselves and the companies we work for. Social media can open opportunities for you and your employer that neither could never have dreamed of before.
If you complete our six-step process, you will stand out from almost every other job applicant because of your knowledge and budding mastery of social media tools, as well as the cool tools you will employ to find your dream job. Here is the six-step process:
- A CLEAN AND BUFFED DIGITAL FOOTPRINT: We help you scour and scrub your digital footprint, removing any offensive or problematic content and photos. Then we help you create the basic digital footprint anchors: Robust LinkedIn and Google profiles
- TWO 21st CENTURY RESUMES: These days, you need two resumes. An ATS-Friendly Resume gets your resume through the computerized systems (Applicant Tracking Systems) that 80-90 of all US companies use to cull resumes. An Interactive Resume has two QR codes, the first taking hiring managers to an introductory video of you demonstrating your energy and industry knowledge, and the second taking them to a video of your best reference saying how great you are. NO other applicants will have these. They show you are technically savvy and bring your personality to the fore.
- A PROFESSIONAL “ME SITE”: This site serves as your digital portfolio containing all of your best work and thus ensuring that hiring managers who search for you on the web find the “best” you
- A PROFESSIONAL “PASSION BLOG”: You create a blog about a key topic in your industry that will showcase the skills your resume says you have, demonstrate your knowledge of your field, raise your profile in your industry (because you’ll be interviewing the top players), and build your professional network as more and more of the key people hear from and/or about you. You will be interviewing the same people you’ll go back to later for advice on where to look for work, but your first contact will not have been as a supplicant, but as a fellow in the field.
- A SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING CAMPAIGN: This campaign promotes you to the key players in your field whom you have followed and with whom you will be interacting with professionally
- AN INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW CAMPAIGN: In the final step, you ask the biggest players in your industry for a meeting to pick their brains and get their advice on your next career steps. This cements your relationship with them and creates over time a powerful network of powerful people who know you by name, respect your work, and will plug you in to the “hidden jobs” market.
That’s what we do for you.
And it works.
I’ve worked with more than 300 students over the last five years, and you can read their exciting and inspirational stories about their successes here.
I can help you find your dream job, too, and have a ton of fun in the process.
Send me an e-mail (john@degrees2dreams) and let’s get started!