(Degrees2Dreams will be launching our services soon. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you’d like to be among the first to know. In the meantime, we’re writing blog posts we hope will help you in your job search.)
Degrees2Dreams offers a series of services to colleges and universities, ranging from 90-minute crash courses that give students or career counselors five practical tools that they can use instantly to make a difference in the job search to weekend courses that take students or career counselors through a thorough job search boot camp from which they emerge light years ahead of other students and far more advanced than other career counseling centers.
Here are brief descriptions of each level of service. Every level contains actionable information that guarantees students or career counselors leave not just motivated but better armed to compete and/or instruct.
This includes everything described below, as well as personal help with capstone project a letter of recommendation, and various types of writing that can help you in your job search.
Level #1: 90-Minute Crash Course
IN JUST 90 MINUTES WE OPEN STUDENTS’ EYES TO POWERFUL POSSIBILITIES
A wake-up call plus an action guide
In a mere 90 minutes, we take students with virtually no idea of how to use social media in their job search, and we give them an overview of the five steps they should take to launch their careers in a cutting-edge fashion. Our presentation is extremely practical, outlining clear, easy steps — any one of which will immediately set the student apart from the crowd of job seekers. Following all the steps will make the student truly memorable. Hundreds of my interns have done this, and are working in dream jobs today. An outline of the list is at the bottom of this post.
LEVEL #2: Half-Day Course
AFTER ONLY 3 HOURS STUDENTS LEAVE WITH A TOOL THAT WILL SET THEM APART
Walk in with nothing; leave armed
Unlike the crash course where we simply make students aware of steps they can take, in the half-day course, students actually complete an interactive resume (if they complete the prerequisites). This tool alone will instantly set the student apart from the hordes of look-alike job seekers. These students also get the crash course so they are aware of the other steps they can take on their own to enhance their career-launching prospects. We will also make our career “sherpas” available for 30 days to half-day participants for an additional fee.
LEVEL #3: Full-Day Course
IN JUST ONE DAY STUDENTS CREATE TWO UNIQUE, POWERFUL SEARCH TOOLS
Students build resume, ‘me’ site
Students leave our full-day seminar armed with two essential, differentiating tools: an interactive resume and a “me” site/digital portfolio (if they have completed the prerequisites). They also leave with an awareness of the steps they need to take to independently launch their “passion” blog, social media branding campaign, and informational interview strategy.
LEVEL #4: Weekend Course
AFTER OUR WEEKEND YOUR STUDENTS WILL BE EXTRAORDINARY JOB CANDIDATES
‘Graduates’ will have few equals
Our weekend course works small miracles with students who come in with little or no knowledge of how to leverage social media in their job search, and leave with tools that will make them stand out in a very big way. Like the half- and full-day courses, the weekend course guarantees much more than just awareness raising. After two days, students will be almost fully armed with three social media tools (interactive resume, “me” site, and “passion” blog) plus the framework for a personal branding campaign and an informational interview strategy.
Level #5: Training Your Staff
DO IT YOURSELF! WE ENABLE YOUR STAFF TO EMPOWER YOUR STUDENTS
Bring social media skills in-house
As much as we would love to come back to your campus again and again, the most cost-effective approach for you is to have us train your career counselors in the use of social media in the job search of the 21st century. Over two days, we will walk your staff through our entire process in great detail. We will actually have them DO what they will be teaching (if you haven’t done it, it’s hard to teach it). We distribute a training manual for reference after we leave, and we will remain on call for 30 days after the course to make sure your staff is totally comfortable with the process.
LEVEL #6: Success Stories:
THEY DID IT! YOUR STUDENTS CAN TOO! LEARN FROM THEIR STORIES
These students and recent graduates all launched their careers with dream jobs in the field of their choice by following our six-step program. In the months before starting our process, they were just like your students are today: confused, uncertain, perhaps even a bit afraid that they wouldn’t find a job in their field, or perhaps any job at all. Several months later, they couldn’t believe how happy they were in their new careers. We can help you help your students achieve the same success.
THE SIX STEPS WE RECOMMEND TO MAKE COLLEGE STUDENTS ATTRACTIVE, SUCCESSFUL JOB CANDIDATES:
- A scrubbed, robust “digital footprint”: We train career counselors in the use of many digital “scrubbing” and “reputation protection” tools as well as the sites to enhance their digital footprint to become something they’d be proud for hiring managers to see.
- Two resumes: One graphic and interactive, loaded with keywords; the other a text-only, ATS-friendly resume: Our graphic resumes use photos and social media tricks, including QR Codes linking to videos of the student and the student’s best reference. They also utilize keywords peculiar to the position and the company the student is applying to, or to the industry he or she is interested in. Our ATS-friendly resume strips out everything but the text and the keywords, and puts everything in the order and context that will make an ATS happy.
- A “Me Site”: A digital portfolio puts all the best information about the student in one, easy-t0-find place and helps the student take control of his or her digital footprint
- A “Passion Blog”: This blog showcases the student’s skills, demonstrates their industry knowledge, puts them in touch with key players in their field not as a supplicant but as a fellow member of the profession, and serves as a means of raising their profile in their field
- A Social Media Marketing Campaign: We train you so you can help students learn how to use various social media platforms to locate key industry players, interact with those players, promote themselves and their work, and raise the awareness of student across the industry!
- An Informational Interview Campaign: We help you develop a system of targeting, researching, reaching out and meeting the key industry players in a campaign to raise the student’s profile, impress those key people, build the student’s professional network, and plug into the industry grapevine for openings that are never advertised.
GET MORE INFORMATION about how we can help you by writing to [email protected] or calling or texting me at 617.688.0137.