(Degrees2Dreams will be launching our services soon. Send me an e-mail at john@degrees2dreams if you’d like to be among the first to know. In the meantime, we’re writing blog posts we hope will help you in your job search.)
THE NEW JOB-SEARCH:
MAKING YOUR CHILD VISIBLE, UNIQUE AND FINDABLE ARE THE KEYS
Ad searching is teeny fraction of plan
The job search has changed dramatically since you graduated college.
Newspaper ads and even Monster are no longer key job sources.
Studies prove that only 2-10% of all job openings are advertised. With the poor economy driving hundreds or thousands to apply for even the most menial of jobs, hiring managers are doing everything they can to AVOID posting an ad and having to cope with the resulting tsunami of paperwork.
Instead, they 1) ask staff for recommendations, 2) check their files for people who have reached out, and 3) search the web using keyword searches for candidates who have put themselves out there to be found.
We’ll help your child be prominent in all three places.
EMPOWERING YOUR CHILD:
OUR SIX-STEP PROCESS MAKES THEM STAND OUT FROM CROWD
We put your graduate on the radar screens of key people in their field
Over the last five years, I have worked with almost 300 college students and recent grads just like your son or daughter.
Initially, they were clueless about how to use social media in the new world of job search (we call it “career launching” because you and they want more than just a job!).
During that time span, I brought my decades of management experience (I’ve interviewed and hired hundreds of people) and my experience in both old and new media to the problem and started Degrees2Dreams. I developed a six-step process mixing cutting-edge tools with good old-fashioned networking tricks to create a system that empowers students with the skills and strategies to stand out from the crowd.
With hundreds of applicants competing for every opening, your child must stand out to have a chance of success. If your graduate follows our process, he or she will become very, very memorable. Almost all of my “graduates” who complete the six steps find great career-launching positions (read some Degrees2Dreams testimonials here).
I have a free service for parents that’s designed to bring you up to date on the latest job search techniques, especially the use of social media and the need to be ATS-friendly (Applicant Tracking Systems are computerized systems used by more and more companies for the initial culling of applicants; it’s possible your child’s resume will never be seen by a human before being trashed!). You can arrange a free consultation by e-mailing me at email@example.com.
Here’s what we’ll do with your child. It’s a six-step process. They can join up for the whole thing (“The Campaign” for students who know what they want to do, or “The Exploration” for students who aren’t sure and want to investigate a few career options). Or students and recent grads can just get whatever they need right now (“The Expedition Kit” for students who need help with just one or two things).
Whichever route you and your child choose, these are the key stages that we can help them through:
- A Scrubbed and Robust “Digital Footprint”: As many as 90% of all employers check out applicants online, and 70% have rejected candidates based on what they find there. The good news is that 70% have also hired applicants based on what they find online. So we have all sorts of tools to help not only clean up your child’s online presence but also make it great.
- An Interactive, Keyword-Loaded Resume: A resume using social media tricks (including QR Code links to videos of the student and his or her best reference) and an ATS-friendly resume.
- A “Me Site”: A digital portfolio to put all the best information about your son or daughter in one, easy-t0-find place and take control of his or her digital footprint.
- A “Passion Blog”: This is a blog about a narrow niche in your student’s field designed to showcase their skills, demonstrate their industry knowledge, put them in touch with key players (not as a supplicant but as a fellow in the field), raise their profile in that field
- A Social Media Marketing Campaign: Using various social media platforms to locate key industry players and raise their awareness of your son or daughter!
- An Informational Interview Campaign: A calculated, extremely well-researched campaign to get the student out meeting key players in an informational interview setting to raise their profile, impress those key people, build their professional network, and plug into the industry grapevine for openings that are never advertised.
WHY DO THIS?
INVEST A FRACTION OF YOUR CHILD’S TUITION COSTS TO LAUNCH THEIR CAREER DREAMS
All the schooling aimed at this moment
After spending tens of thousands of dollars on your child’s college education, wouldn’t it be a wise investment to spend less than $1,000 to help translate your child’s degree into a dream job that launches his or her career? Isn’t that what all these years of schooling have been about? Many of you invested money to prepare your child for the SATs.
The stakes are higher now as the years of schooling draw to a close and your child is either heading off for a great position to launch his or her career … or they’re coming home to live in their childhood bedroom (which was NOT part of the plan when they left for college!).
We price our services affordably: you can invest in just one level or commit to all five for a significant discount.
Invest in this last step in launching your child’s future. Give us a call or send an e-mail today.
Contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 617.688.0137.