Fortune magazine ranks Target No. 22 on its 2013 list of “World’s Most Admired Companies.” Renee Bilotti, the executive team leader from Target, RI had a one-on-one session with me and shared some of her advice for college graduates seeking jobs.
1. How long do you usually spend reading a resume? Do you use resume-scanning software?
We don’t use any resume-scanning software. Those systems usually spend 30-40 seconds on each resume. At Target, we have several rounds of the preliminary screening process before we decide to conduct a phone interview or one-to-one interview. For me, personally, I only spend 10-15 seconds on a resume. To judge whether a resume is qualified, there are two things that I will look at the first sight:
- With recruiters taking to Twitter for potential employees, brevity is the new black. Here’s Your Guide To Applying For a Job In 150 Characters or Less.
- What happens on the internet certainly doesn’t stay on the internet so here are 4 Tips To Protect Your Online Privacy and Digital Footprint, courtesy of one of our very own bloggers!
- Search Engine Optimization may sound like a daunting task but check out 8 Ways To Improve Your SEO In 20 Minutes or Less. You’ll be up in the ranks in no time.
- Addressing the correct person in your cover letter and emails when applying for a job is of vital importance. If a name isn’t readily available, here are 7 Ways To Get a Hiring Manager’s Name.
- One sure-fire way of getting people to read your blog is to have well designed posts. Here’s an article on Individual Blog Post Design to get you started.
- Interviews are hard enough without bringing food into the mix. Here are 6 Tips For Handling Lunch or Dinner Interviews when your venue is decided for you.
At the risk of sounding corny, resumes are like snowflakes: no two are alike. And maybe that sentence shows a serious lapse in originality, but you have to admit that it’s true. Everyone’s professional journey is unique, though there may be shared pitfalls, successes, horrible bosses and clients from hell.